- A Teaching and Learning Online Network
- An interactive lexicon of tools and resources for remote teaching and learning
- A hub for critical discussion of approaches to online design education
- A bulletin keeping the academic community informed about current developments in the virtual classroom
- Learn more about us here
- Follow us on Twitter @talon_cloud and LinkedIn Talon Cloud
Open Call for Essays:
Reimagining Education: Stories of Hope
Editorial Team: Sandra Abegglen, Tom Burns, Upasana Gitanjali Singh, Richard Heller, Rajan Madhok, John Sandars, Sandra Sinfield
Main Contact: Richard Heller, rfheller4[at]gmail.com
We are looking for short papers (1500-2500 words) that approach education from a fundamental human and humane perspective, recognising the need to reimagine education. We want examples that offer insights and practical solutions from a range of perspectives which could include complexity theory and design thinking. Whilst we are situated in the tertiary sector, we are not limiting ourselves to a particular level or area of education, whether school, further or higher. The call is open to all practitioners, disciplines and subject areas, established and new lecturers and teachers, and those in student support positions. Neither are we focussing on any particular type of solutions. So, whilst for example, some of us might be enthusiastic about technology, we are also cautious about putting faith in any single intervention without understanding the whole system. This means, we want contributions that are critically-reflexive of themselves, papers or case studies that engage with the topic on a deeper level.
In essence, we want to showcase the emergent ecosystem of what is possible in education - in our practice, our institutions, our courses - to create a positive vision for the future - and seed collective action for change. So, we are keen to engage with like minded individuals, academics or practitioners, interested in education and from across the globe - seeking examples from a wide number of settings, including the Global North and South.
All proposals (200 words) to be submitted here: https://forms.gle/UvLvgAM9H9FQsY9X7
Deadline for abstracts: May 15, 2023.
More information here.
Voices from the Digital Classroom: 25 Interview about Teaching and Learning in the Face of a Global Pandemic (2022, University of Calgary Press)
Order your copy here - or download it as a free e-book: https://press.ucalgary.ca/books/9781773852782/
Voices from the Digital Classroom has been honoured by the 2023 AUPresses Book, Jacket, and Journal Show, an annual competition that features the very best in design from University Presses across North America. The book was selected as a feature for outstanding design in the category “Book Jackets and Covers” https://design.up.hcommons.org/2023-book-jackets-and-covers-selections/ and in the category “Scholarly Typographic” https://design.up.hcommons.org/2023-scholarly-typographic-selections/
A wonderful review of the book can be found here: https://doi.org/10.47408/jldhe.vi27.979
And, tune in (around minute 50) to this podcast to hear what our contributors Kris Hans and Erik Christiansen have to say about the book - and their contribution: EdTech Examined Ep. #48 Tune Up
Also, check out our OE Week (06-10 March, 2023) book resource page:
In this magazine (NextCalgary #14) we share the 35 e-Letters written for faculty , collaborators and other interested third parties between 2000-2022.
Copies of TALON Letters can be purchased at Shelf Life, Amazon and Apple’s Book store - or by contacting us. The original Letters can be accessed here.
The TALON Online Education card deck is designed to help you start a conversation about teaching and learning in the digital classroom.
Find out more here - and download a free copy.
Find out more here - and download a free copy.
Also check out
- The TALON book ‘Voices from the Digital Classroom’ has been selected for inclusion in the Open Education (OE) Week (March 06-10, 2023) resource bank: https://oeweek.oeglobal.org/resources/2023/book-voices-from-the-digital-classroom/
- Story 13: A creative interpretation of 99 Online Education Buzz Words published in the #creativeHE Annual 2022: Say it with a story.
- TALON: Hybrid Education published in the Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education, 25.
- Our partner project: Playful Hybrid Higher Education - (re)imagining a creative blended university for learning.
- TALON has has been awarded the EchoInnovation Grant 2022. The grant gave us access to a bespoke Echo360 software package that allowed us to enhance our online engagement with faculty (and students): https://taloncloud.ca/TLN-Echo-Innovation-Grant-2022