PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS AND AWARDS
TALON produced 35 Letters over the course of two years, June 2020 to August 2022, each with a unique theme to capture the moment at the time of writing. The Letters were initally sent out on a weekly basis, then bi-weekly, and finally monthly. They were distributed via email to an international audience, in Canada and beyond.
The Letters redelivered in this Magazine - Next Calgary, 14 - present a linear overview of the original Letters sent. The text is reproduced in a slightly edited version for better readability. Each electronic newsletter included links to various resources, readings and articles, which are marked in print by the underlined sections. We have complied each of these on our website where you can access them through our master collection where they are itemized by issue number.
Copies of TALON Letters Magazine can be purchased at Shelf Life Books, Amazon, Apple’s Book store, or by contacting us.
The original Letters can be found here, open access.
Editors: Fabian Neuhaus, Krisha Shah, Kylie Wilson, Sandra Abegglen
The sudden shift to remote education in response to the COVID-19 pandemic created both a unique challenge and a unique opportunity. Students and instructors alike were required to quickly adapt to the digital classroom, adjusting methods, material, and pedagogical approaches on the fly.
Bringing together twenty-five interviews from the frontline of emergency remote education, Voices from the Digital Classroom portrays the struggles, innovations, and resilience of students, instructors, and educational professionals in the face of COVID-19. These interviews offer a unique, of-the-moment perspective on an exceptional time.
Complemented by additional voices that expand on stories told to reflect on challenges, successes, and lessons learned, Voices from the Digital Classroomis both a time-capsule and a vision for the future. It provides new insights into pandemic teaching and learning, a remarkable lens into the daily realities of the digital classroom, and an inspiration for the future of remote education in a post-pandemic world.
Editors: Sandra Abegglen, Fabian Neuhaus, Kylie Wilson
Read a wonderful review here: https://doi.org/10.47408/jldhe.vi27.979
And, tune in (around minute 50) to this podcast to hear what our contributors Kris Hans and Erik Christiansen have to say about the book - and their contribution: EdTech Examined Ep. #48 Tune Up
- Also, check out our OE Week (06-10 March, 2023) book resource page: https://oeweek.oeglobal.org/resources/2023/book-voices-from-the-digital-classroom/
- There’s also a blog post highlighting our #CLS2023 book presentation: https://clalliance.org/blog/navigating-the-future-of-education-voices-from-the-digital-classroom/
- Abegglen, S. & Neuhaus, F. (2023, November 08). Navigating the future education: Voices from the digital classroom. Connected Learning Alliance. https://clalliance.org/blog/navigating-the-future-of-education-voices-from-the-digital-classroom/
- Abegglen, S., Neuhaus, F., Wilson, K. & Shah, K. & (2022). Story 13: A creative interpretation of 99 Online Education Buzz Words. In: Burns, T., Desire, J., Gordon, J., McDonald, P. & Sinfield, S. (Eds.). Say it with a story. The #creativeHE Annual 2022 (pp. 37-38). Creativity for Learning in Higher Education Community, #creativeHE. https://figshare.edgehill.ac.uk/articles/educational_resource/Say_it_with_a_Story_CreativeHE_2022/21806085
- Abegglen, S., Bret, C., Neuhaus, F., Shah, K. & Wilson, K. (2022). TALON: Hybrid education. Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education, 25. https://doi.org/10.47408/jldhe.vi25.962
- Abegglen, S., Neuhaus, F., Shah, K. & Wilson, K. (2022). TALON Letters. NEXTCalgary, 14.
- TALON (2022). Playful reflection: The TALON Online Education Card Deck. #creativeHE. https://creativehecommunity.wordpress.com/2022/10/05/playful-reflection-the-talon-online-education-card-deck/
- Abegglen, S. (2022). TALON Online Education Card Game. National Teaching Repository. https://doi.org/10.25416/NTR.21229304.v1 [also: TALON (2022). Online Education Card Deck. https://taloncloud.ca/TLN-Card-Deck]
- Abegglen, S., Neuhaus, F. & Wilson, K. (Eds.) (2022). Voices from the digital classroom: 25 interviews about teaching and learning in the face of a global pandemic. University of Calgary Press. https://press.ucalgary.ca/books/9781773852782/
- Abegglen, S., Bret. C., Burns, T., Neuhaus, F., Shah, K., Sinfield, S. & Shah, K. (2022). #Take5 #75 Collaboration Collaboration Collaboration. #Take5. https://lmutake5.wordpress.com/2022/08/25/take5-75-collaboration-collaboration-collaboration/
- Abegglen, S., Neuhaus, F. & Kehal, J. (Eds.) (2022). Hybrid community: Good neighbour x RPI pop-up. NEXTCalgary, 11. https://www.amazon.ca/Hybrid-Community-Neighbour-Pop-Up-NEXTCalgary-ebook/dp/B09RKQ2LQR/ref=sr_1_1?crid=NEH9T9SH8A1L&keywords=jassie+kehal&qid=1643914302&sprefix=jassie+kehal%2Caps%2C575&sr=8-1
- Abegglen, S. & Neuhaus, F. (2021). TALON: Shaping the Future of Online Education Through Connectivity. Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education, 22. https://doi.org/10.47408/jldhe.vi22.670
- MacKenzie, A. et al. (2021). Disolving the Dichotomoes between Online and Campus-Based Teaching: A Collective Response to the Manifesto for Teaching Online (Bayne et al, 2020). Postdigital Science and Education, Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42438-021-00259-z
- Abegglen, S., Neuhaus, F., MacFarlane, M., McGinn, M. & Modak, A. (2021). TALON: Teaching and Learning in Pandemic Times. Ubiquitous Learning: An International Journal, 15 (1), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.18848/1835-9795/CGP/v15i01/1-7
- Abegglen, S., Burns, T., MacFarlane, M., McGinn, M., Neuhaus, F. & Sinfield, S. (2021, May). TALON and #Take5: Online Initatives Fostering Reflection About Teaching and Learning in the Now-Times. Academia Letters, Article 407, https://doi.org/10.20935/AL407
- Abegglen, S. & Neuhaus, F. (2021): TALON. National Teaching Repository. https://doi.org/10.25416/NTR.14085083.v1
TALON poster presentation at #ALDCon22, June 2022. Check out our presenter profiles here: Sandra Abegglen, Clement Bret, Fabian Neuhaus, Krisha Shah and Kylie Wilson
- Abegglen, S. & Neuhaus, F. (2023, October). Voices from the Digital Classroom. Connected Learning Summit.
- Abegglen, S., Neuhaus, F., Shah, K. & Wilson, K. (2022, July). Voices from the Digital Classroom. Connected Learning Summit.
- Abegglen, S., Neuhaus, F., Shah, K. & Wilson, K. (2022, July). Education Play Online 101. Playful Learning 20/21/22. University of Leicester, United Kingdom.
- Abegglen, S., Bret, C., Neuhaus, F., Shah, K. & Wilson, K. (2022, June). TALON: Hybrid Education. ALDinHE Conference 2022 (ALDCon22). University of Northampton, United Kingdom. https://aldinhe.ac.uk/aldcon/posters/
- Abegglen, S., Mirza, A., Neuhaus, F., Possberg, M. & Wilson, K. (2021, December 8). TALON: Networked voices on online education. UNESCO Inclusive Policy Lab, Education and Digital Skills: A Conversation Event. https://doi.org/10.21954/ou.rd.17261117.v1
- Abegglen, S. (2021, November 25-26). Online Collaboration: The Challenges and Opportunities of Digital Learning Environments. International Conference on Mentoring in Teacher Education and Professional Training ICM 2021. Sibiu, Romania.
- Abegglen, S., Kloppenburg, E., MacDonald, C., Neuhaus, F., Poschmann, B., Robertson, N. & Wilson, K. (2021). Richard Parker Initiative. SAPL Alumni Event: Future of Urban Revitalization. University of Calgary, Canada.
- Abegglen, S., McGinn, M., MacFarlance, M. & Neuhaus, F. (2021, May 5-6). Teaching and Learning Online Network. Fourtheenth International Conference on e-Learning & Innovative Pedagogies. Transcending Social Distance: Emerging Practices in e- Learning. University of the Aegean, Rhodes Campus, Rhodes, Greece. https://cgscholar.com/cg_event/events/Q21/proposal/52670
- Book Launch ‘Voices from the Digital Classroom’, 07 September 2022, 1-4pm, Taylor Family Digital Library, that is the UofC Library, with books, give-aways and a special competition.
- Voices from the Digital Classroom Exhibition, 30 March - 11 April 2022, Taylor Family Digital Library, University of Calgary - organized by TALON
Collaboration in Higher Education Symposium, 07 April 2022, School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape, University of Calgary - organized by TALON and Take5
- Hybrid CommUNITY, 28 October - 27 November 2021, Good Neighbour, Calgary - organized by TALON and NextCalgary
- Coded Bias: Virtual Screening, 30 April 2021, School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape, University of Calgary - organized by TALON
- 25 November 2020: TALON Faculty Workshop for the MPL and MLA programs at SAPL on emergency remote instruction based on the TALON research.
- SAPL Pop Ups, School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape, University of Calgary - organized by TALON
- TALON (2022). Finalist for the Open Education Awards for Excellence 2022 - nominated for the special category Open Resilience. Open Education Global. https://awards.oeglobal.org/2022-finalists/
McGinn, M. & MacFarlance, M. (2021). Emerging Scholar Award. Fourtheenth E-Learning and Innovative Pedagogies Conference. Transcending Social Distance: Emerging Practices in e- Learning. University of the Aegean, Rhodes Campus, Rhodes, Greece. https://ubi-learn.com/2021-conference/emerging-scholar-awards
- EchoInnovation Grant 2022 by Echo360 ($5,000 USD)